You can now make the legendary appetizer at home! Cook it deep-fried or if you would like to try something new, use an air fryer at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Either way, it’s hard to beat this flavor!
- 2-4 yellow onions
- Creamy chili sauce:
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups dairy sour cream
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Bear Batter:
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 ounce beer
- Seasoned Flour:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cut 3/4 inch off the top of each onion and peel. Cut into about 15 vertical wedges, but be careful not to cut through the entire onion. You need to leave the bottom to keep its shape.
- Remove about a 1-inch diameter of slices from the center of the onion.
- Soak cut onions in ice water for 10-15 minutes so the petals separate and bloom. If they do not naturally separate you may need to cut the petals slightly deeper.
- Dip the cut onion in the seasoned flour mixture. Remove any excess flour by shaking.
- Dip the onion into the batter and remove any excess by shaking.
- Separate petals to coat thoroughly with beer batter.
- Leave the onion to set for 2 minutes once breaded.
- Using tongs, place the onion upside down in oil and deep fat fry at 375 degrees for 4-5 minutes. Watch until golden brown. Repeat with remaining onions. Drain excess on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in a shallow bowl and serve with creamy chili sauce in the center.
Creamy Chili Sauce Directions
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, chili sauce, cayenne pepper, chili sauce.
Did you know Eagle Eye Produce grows onions under the Harvest Select® brand? Find out more here!